-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Prevent users from modifying resources they do not own.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:11 pm 

I have been asking this question on security.stackexchange.com [1] and stackoverflow.com [2] but I am still not sure how I can do what I want.

I am having an "Admin-Tool". Every logged in user is an admin (StoreOwner) that owns Stores.

If I have two users admin1 and admin2 where admin1 owns store1 and admin2 owns store2, nothing could stop admin1 from sending storeId=2 instead of storeId=1 to the server and e.g. try to delete an item from store2 even though he does not own it.

This is why I have to do this check:

Code:
if(item.getStore().getId() == store.getId()) {
  /* DELETE ITEM */
} else {
  /* NOT ALLOWED - THROW EXCEPTION */
}

each and every time. But that is dangerous imho because a programmer might forget that thing once in a while and it isn't always obvious that one has to do that.

What I was told is that Spring Security might help me here but this does just prevent users from accessing private areas that need e.h. admin rights compare to a non-admin user. It does not however help me with the issue I described - at least as far as I can tell.

I know that Hibernate has filters - though I have never used them. I am not sure if they are intended to do something like that but could I use it to restrict every access to a store by something like:

Code:
// PSEUDO CODE

@Entity
@ThrowSecurityExceptionOn(storeOwner.id != store.storeOwner.id)
public class Store {

@Id Long id;
  // ..
}

Here is a "full example" of what I am talking about. The following would delete an Item of the Store but I always have to check programmatically if the Item is from a Store that the StoreOwner in fact owns.

Code:
// StoreService.java

@Transactional
public ItemDTO deleteItem(String sessionId, Long storeId, ItemDTO itemDto) {

// sessionId is the cookie I have placed in my database
    // This way I want to ensure that I am only accessing a store
    // that is associated with the logged in store owner (the user basically)
    Store store = this.storeOwnerRepository.getStore(sessionId, storeId);

Item item = ConvertDTO.convertItem(store, itemDto);

// THIS CHECK IS WHAT I WANT TO GET RID OF:
    // Check if the store ID that I got using the cookie is the
    // same ID as the store ID from the item that should be deleted
    if(item.getStore().getId() == store.getId()) {
        item = this.storeOwnerRepository.deleteItem(item);
    } else {
        // If this didn't work we have a potentially hostile user:
        throw new RuntimeException("Is somebody trying to delete items from a store he doesn't own?");
    }

itemDto = ConvertEntity.convertItem(item);
    return itemDto;
}

What would be the best way to get rid of such checks? I don't want to use Hibernate Filters if they weren't invented for this purpose. I would love to use Spring Security but it seems that it is not capable to help me here.

Can somebody help me through this?

Thank you and best regards,
Stefan.

[1] http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/99941/how-do-i-prevent-users-from-modifying-resources-they-do-not-own
[2] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32657381/should-i-use-spring-secutiry-hibernate-or-hibernate-filters-for-access-control

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]