-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: raw SQL query against parent joined-subclass entity
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:58 pm 

Using Hibernate 3.3.1

Trying to execute a hand coded SQL query against the middle class of a three level set of joined-subclasses. The query I've written executes in TOAD against Oracle 11g. But I'm getting an error back from Hibernate: could not read column value from result set: clazz_; Invalid column name

I've debugged into the Hibernate code, and the query IS successfully executing, but Hibernate is attempting to find a column named "clazz_" and of course it cannot, and throws the exception. I've found a thread here on the forums from 2005 where someone was trying to do something similar, but there was no ultimate resolution. I have yet to try this as an HQL query, but I'm loath to use HQL, since I test my queries in TOAD, refine them, then paste the query into my code. HQL requires met to translate back and forth...an unnecessary step, IMHO.

Hierarchy of the classes:
ENTITY
AGENCYENTITY joined-subclass of ENTITY
AGENCY_NC joined-subclass of AGENCYENTITY
AGENCY_SC joined-subclass of AGENCYENTITY
AGENCY_WV joined-subclass of AGENCYENTITY

This models a generic EMS agency, and the state-specific attributes for agencies in the three states we support. I'm trying to query against AGENCYENTITY, and right now attempting the simplest of all possible queries:

select ae.* from agencyentity ae

I use hand-coded SQL all over the place in this app....but none involve joined-subclasses. Is there a specific problem with trying to use SQL against joined-subclasses? Can anyone indicate what the heck is going on here? I've got 9 years of Hibernate experience, this app has been around for 8 of those years, and this is the first time I've come up against this type of problem. I've been debugging for 2 days now, and I'm getting nowhere.

Any pointers would be hugely appreciated.

Paul Cooper
EMS Performance Improvement Center

Last edited by PaulCooper on Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: raw SQL query against parent joined-subclass entity
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:08 pm 

A followup:

I changed the query to reference a different class and table which does NOT use joined-subclasses:

select ae.* from destinationlu ae

and the code works as expected.

Post subject: Re: raw SQL query against parent joined-subclass entity
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:29 pm 

Additional follow-up, as perhaps my first follow-up may have lead readers to believe I'd fixed the problem.

The second query was only a test...that query does not satisfy my need to query against a joined-subclass. I can find NO documentation on this, and everything I've tried has failed. Currently I consider this a significant bug in Hibernate.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]