-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: JBoss Logging Spewing Debug to SysOut
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:36 am 

I have a web application configured to use SLF4J and logback for logging. All of the application code logs correctly based on the appenders I have set up in my logback.xml; except Hibernate. For some reason Hibernate initialization is writing DEBUG statements to SysOut and I can't figure out why.

Relevant libraries including in WEB-INF/lib of my war file:
  • slf4j-api-1.7.5.jar
  • logback-classic-1.0.12.jar
  • logback-core-1.0.12.jar
  • jboss-logging-3.1.0.GA.jar
  • hibernate-jpa-2.0-api-1.0.1.Final.jar
  • hibernate-commons-annotations-4.0.2.Final.jar
  • hibernate-core-4.2.5.Final.jar
  • hibernate-entitymanager-4.2.5.Final.jar
  • hibernate-envers-4.2.5.Final.jar
  • jcl-over-slf4j-1.7.5.jar

I am running the application on Websphere v8.0.0.8. I have configured Websphere to use parent-last Class-loading so that the libraries in my application will get picked over libraries exposed by the Websphere container.

When the application starts, I see this:

Quote:
[4/3/14 9:45:57:113 CDT] 0000001d SystemOut O 09:45:57.110 [Default : 5] DEBUG org.jboss.logging - Logging Provider: org.jboss.logging.Slf4jLoggerProvider
[4/3/14 9:45:57:207 CDT] 0000001d SystemOut O 09:45:57.207 [Default : 5] DEBUG org.hibernate.type.BasicTypeRegistry - Adding type registration boolean -> org.hibernate.type.BooleanType@fd38007b
[4/3/14 9:45:57:207 CDT] 0000001d SystemOut O 09:45:57.207 [Default : 5] DEBUG org.hibernate.type.BasicTypeRegistry - Adding type registration boolean -> org.hibernate.type.BooleanType@fd38007b
[4/3/14 9:45:57:208 CDT] 0000001d SystemOut O 09:45:57.208 [Default : 5] DEBUG org.hibernate.type.BasicTypeRegistry - Adding type registration java.lang.Boolean -> org.hibernate.type.BooleanType@fd38007b

So it looks like jboss logging is (seemingly correctly) picking SLF4J as the provider. However, I do not have a console appender configured nor do I have org.hibernate.* set to DEBUG level.

I have Logback set up to use the ContextJNDISelector and I know the configuration file is being read by setting <configuration debug="true"> in the logback.xml file and was able to see how logback is being configured (nothing seemed off there).

If it helps, here is my logback.xml file:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<configuration>

<appender name="FILE" class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender">
      <file>logs/${appname.log.dir}/${CONTEXT_NAME}-messaging.log</file>
      <encoder class="ch.qos.logback.classic.encoder.PatternLayoutEncoder">
         <Pattern>
            %d ${CONTEXT_NAME} [%thread] %-5level %logger{36} - %msg%n
           </Pattern>
      </encoder>

<rollingPolicy class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.FixedWindowRollingPolicy">
         <FileNamePattern>logs/${appname.log.dir}/${CONTEXT_NAME}-messaging.%i.log.zip
         </FileNamePattern>
         <MinIndex>1</MinIndex>
         <MaxIndex>10</MaxIndex>
      </rollingPolicy>

<triggeringPolicy class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy">
         <MaxFileSize>100MB</MaxFileSize>
      </triggeringPolicy>

</appender>

<appender name="Im" class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender">
      <file>logs/${appname.log.dir}/${CONTEXT_NAME}-messaging-im.log</file>
         <Pattern>
            %d ${CONTEXT_NAME} [%thread] %-5level %logger{36} - %msg%n
           </Pattern>
      </encoder>

<FileNamePattern>logs/${appname.log.dir}/${CONTEXT_NAME}-messaging-im.%i.log.zip
         </FileNamePattern>
         <MinIndex>1</MinIndex>
         <MaxIndex>10</MaxIndex>
      </rollingPolicy>

<triggeringPolicy class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy">
      </triggeringPolicy>

</appender>

<appender name="In" class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender">
      <file>logs/${appname.log.dir}/${CONTEXT_NAME}-messaging-in.log</file>
         <Pattern>
            %d [%thread] %-5level %logger{36} - %msg%n
         </Pattern>
      </encoder>

<FileNamePattern>logs/${appname.log.dir}/${CONTEXT_NAME}-messaging-in.%i.log.zip
         </FileNamePattern>
         <MinIndex>1</MinIndex>
         <MaxIndex>10</MaxIndex>
      </rollingPolicy>

</triggeringPolicy>

</appender>

<logger name="ImLogger" level="info" additivity="false">
      <appender-ref ref="Im"/>
   </logger>

<logger name="InLogger" level="info" additivity="false">
      <appender-ref ref="In"/>
   </logger>

<root level="info">
      <appender-ref ref="FILE" />
   </root>

</configuration>

It seems that other people have had this issue but I haven't been able to figure out why this is happening or how to fix it:

https://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1030995&hilit=logging
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18022955/logback-logger-level-ignored-when-logs-come-from-jboss-logging

I do suspect it has something to do with Websphere because I can run the application locally on a Jetty server without experiencing this behavior; but any suggestions or ideas as to why this might happen or where to go from here would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: JBoss Logging Spewing Debug to SysOut
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:08 pm 

Well I managed to answer my own question... it was a goof on my part.

AFAIK you can't deploy just a WAR file in Websphere. Websphere will automatically wrap your WAR into an EAR when you deploy it.

The problem was that I set the class-loader order to parent-last at the EAR/Application level but not at the WAR/Module level. Therefore, when jboss-logging was going through it's initialization procedures, it was finding the logback and SLF4J classes in the classloader that Websphere exposes rather than the ones contained within my WAR.

I changed the Module to load classes parent-last and the problem was fixed.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]