-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Reference Many-To-One obj without having to load?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:58 am 

I am looking for performance improvements in certain aspects of my application and wondered if its possible to insert a new entity that holds a reference to to a Many-To-One object without having to fully load the Many-To-One object in advance.

For example,

Code:
@Entity
CustomerInvoice
{
   //Lots of properties
}

@Entity
PaymentAllocation
{
    @Id @GeneratedValue
    private Long id;

@ManyToOne(fetch=FetchType.LAZY)
    private CustomerInvoice customerInvoice;

private BigDecimal allocateAmount;
}

My scenario is I have a batch process to process payments. My method will take a List<Long> of customerInvoice id's from a remote application. So I *know* the id of the CustomerInvoice.

This code will work fine:

Quote:
//Load up customer invoice
CustomerInvoice invoice = em.find(CustomerInvoice.class, id);

//Create new allocation
PaymentAllocation allocation = new PaymentAllocation();
allocation.setCustomerInvoice(invoice);
allocation.setAllocateAmount(allocate);
em.create(allocation):

The problem with above is that having to find the customer invoice generates a lot of SQL with all the properties and related objects on the CustomerInvoice entity. This is to be as expected. The thing is, I don't actually need to reference the customer invoice or any of these properties *in this instance*. I only need the CustomerInvoice object to reference on the payment allocation.

I'd like to be able to do something like this:

Quote:
//Load up customer invoice
CustomerInvoice invoice = new CustomerInvoice();
invoice.setID(213);

//Create new allocation
PaymentAllocation allocation = new PaymentAllocation();
allocation.setCustomerInvoice(invoice);
allocation.setAllocateAmount(allocate);
em.create(allocation):

So the difference being I am not loading the CustomerInvoice obj, but simply setting the id which I hope would then give the allocation code the id to reference. Doing this however will cause a hibernate exception "object references an unsaved transient instance before flushing". Is there a way to overcome this or am I stuck with having to load up the invoices?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]