-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: cascading save()/update() doesn't work with each other
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:18 am 

Hi All,

I’m working on a project that uses Hibernate as ORM layer. I’m currently facing a problem that Hibernate session.save() and session.update() doesn’t work with each other.

Here are the simplified classes structures:
Code:
class A{                //tableA has a column “record_id” which is primary key
Long recordId;
B b;
}
class B {             //tableB has a column “record_id” which is primary key, but also a foreign key referencing tableA.record_id
A a;   
}

Basically there is a one-to-one relationship between class A and B, but only class A has an ID attribute. Here is the hibernate configuration files:
A.hbm.xml
Code:
<id name=”recordId” column=”record_id”>
                <generator class=”native”/>
</id>
      <one-to-one name="b" class="B" cascade="all" lazy="false" />

B.hbm.xml
Code:
<id column=”record_id” type=”long”>              // there is NO name=”recordId” property like in A.hbm.xml
<generator class=”foreign”>
<param name=”property”>a</param>     //tableB.record_id references tableA.record_id
</generator>
</id>
     <one-to-one name="a" class="A" cascade="none" constrained="true" lazy="no-proxy" />

Problem:
By the above configuration, I can save the data to both tables successfully by calling session.save(a), but session.update(a) will fail, because Hibernate always tries to insert new data into tableB even if there is already a row with the same record_id in tableB. (so hibernate can’t get the primary key for tableB).
I can fix this problem by adding the name=”recordId” property in B.hbm.xml and implementing getRecordId/setRecordId in B.class (by delegating the call to a.getRecordId/a.setRecordId), but this fix will then fail the session.save(a) with an unexpected update on tableB (Hibernate tries to update a row that doesn’t exist in tableB, in fact it should do an insertion) .

The embarrassment is that if I keep my fix, the session.save() won’t work, if I remove my fix, session.update() won’t work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jun

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]