-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: TimeStamp and Daylight Savings Issue.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:02 pm 

Hi Experts,
Our application has some back-end jobs that are triggered by a set of 4 external Schedulers. So, at every half-hour all 4 schedulers send requests to our app for triggering the job. The requirement is that only one out of these 4 requests should do the actual processing, rest three should not do anything.
To achieve this, I tried to implement a database locking mechanism where I crated following Table in Oracle:
Code:
CREATE TABLE T_LOCKS
(
  JOB_ID  INTEGER                  NOT NULL,
  IS_LOCKED            CHAR(1 BYTE)             DEFAULT 'N'                   NOT NULL,
  UPDATE_DATE          TIMESTAMP(6)      NULL
)

this is the mapping file:
Code:
<hibernate-mapping>
    <class name="com.test.domain.TLocks" table="T_LOCKS" schema="test">
        <id name="jobId" type="java.math.BigDecimal">
            <column name="JOB_ID" precision="22" scale="0" />
            <generator class="assigned" />
        </id>
        <property name="isLocked" type="java.lang.String">
            <column name="IS_LOCKED" length="1" />
        </property>
        <property name="updatedDate" type="java.sql.Timestamp">
            <column name="UPDATED_DATE"/>
        </property>
    </class>
</hibernate-mapping>

Inside DAO class, I've this method which is called by each of the 4 scheduler requests before doing the core job processing. The idea is to let each request try to update the UPDATED_DATE value with SYSTIMESTAMP for same T_Locks record ,and whichever request is able to update the record first would do the actual processing. To ensure the single update of UPDATED_DATE value, I've included a check to ensure that the UPDATED_DATE must be at least 29 minutes less than the SYSTIMESTAMP :
Code:
@Transactional (timeout=30, rollbackFor=Exception.class)
   public boolean lockRowForUpdate(Integer job_id)
   {
      try
      {
         String queryString = "select IS_LOCKED from T_LOCKS WHERE JOB_ID=?  FOR UPDATE NOWAIT";
         Query queryObject = getSession().createSQLQuery(queryString);
         queryObject.setParameter(0, job_id);
         Character res = (Character)queryObject.uniqueResult();
         if("N".equals(res.toString())){
            queryString = "UPDATE T_LOCKS set IS_LOCKED='Y', UPDATE_DATE=SYSTIMESTAMP WHERE JOB_ID=? AND (UPDATE_DATE IS NULL OR (( SYSTIMESTAMP - UPDATE_DATE) > NUMTODSINTERVAL (?, 'MINUTE')))";
            queryObject = getSession().createSQLQuery(queryString);
            queryObject.setParameter(0, job_id);
            queryObject.setParameter(1, 29);
            int updateCnt = queryObject.executeUpdate();
            if(updateCnt == 1)
               return true;
            else
               return false;
         }else{
            return false;
         }
      }
      catch (RuntimeException re) {
         log.error("lockRowForUpdate failed for job_id:"+job_id, re);
         return false;
      }
   }

Also, our app server(with Pacific time set) and DB server are in Arizona. For DB I checked DBTimezone and SYSTIMESTAMP, and found this:
DBTimezone : -7:00
SYSTIMESTAMP:11/8/2011 8:59:01.391562 AM -08:00

This code worked perfectly fine(only one of 4 requests was returning true from above method), until 11/06 morning when Day Light Savings ended. Now, each of the 4 requests are returning true from above method hence job processing is being done by All 4. My guess is that check ( SYSTIMESTAMP - [b]UPDATE_DATE) > NUMTODSINTERVAL (?, 'MINUTE'))[/b] could be where the problem is, but not sure...

Could you please tell me how to fix this issue?

Thanks in Advance.
KT

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]