-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: TransientObjectException for CascaseType.ALL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:54 pm 

Hello,

I got a very straightforward bi-directional mapping that's deployed to JBoss 6.0.0.Final (Hibernate 3.6.0.Final) as a JPA PU:

Code:
Convocation 1 <---> 0..* GraduandDetail 1 <---> 1 Student:

Here is the code:

Code:
@Entity
public class Convocation implements Serializable{
   @OrderBy("acrossStageNumber")
   @OneToMany(mappedBy = "convocation", cascade = {CascadeType.ALL})
   private List<GraduandDetail> graduandDetails = new ArrayList<GraduandDetail>();
}

@Entity
public class GraduandDetail implements Serializable {
   @ManyToOne
   @JoinColumn(name = "convocation_fk", referencedColumnName="id")
   private Convocation convocation;
   private Integer acrossStageNumber;
   @OneToOne(cascade = CascadeType.ALL)
   @PrimaryKeyJoinColumn
   private Student student;
}

@Entity
public class Student implements Serializable {
   private String name;
   @OneToOne(mappedBy="student")
   private GraduandDetail graduandDetail = new GraduandDetail(this);
}

After I add new students to a persistent convocation instance and then call EntityManager.merge(convocation), I expect Hibernate to merge the convocation instances along with the changes to the underlying graduands collection. However, I end up having a org.hibernate.TransientObjectException, with some prior tests, I also saw duplicate student entries in the database:

Quote:
Caused by: org.hibernate.TransientObjectException: object references an unsaved transient instance - save the transient instance before flushing: ca.mcmaster.registrar.convocation.model.Student.graduandDetail -> ca.mcmaster.registrar.convocation.model.GraduandDetail
at org.hibernate.engine.CascadingAction$9.noCascade(CascadingAction.java:387) [:3.6.0.Final]
at org.hibernate.engine.Cascade.cascade(Cascade.java:172) [:3.6.0.Final]

Can you please be so kind to point the RTFM section of the Hibernate manual. I am out of clues now...

Thank you kindly.

Post subject: Re: TransientObjectException for CascaseType.ALL
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:31 am 

I guess this is too advanced for the Hibernate folks :). Anyhow, I gave up trying to enable cascading. So I ended up removing the cascading option altogether from the Convocation class, and now persist the GraduandDetails manually, when I persist a Convocation instance. This seemed to work like charm:

Code:
for (Convocation convocation : convocationCycle.getConvocations()) {
   for (GraduandDetail details : convocation.getGraduandDetails())
      dao.save(details);
   dao.merge(convocation);
   dao.flush();
}

DAO here is just a placeholder for EntityManager here.

Oh, and it looks like the RTFM section is this, although I am still not sure as to why the exception occurs:

http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/core/3.6/reference/en-US/html_single/#example-parentchild

Altogether, I didn't touch Hibernate for a little while, but it seems to be a ton more flaky than it was at 2.x times...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]