-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cascaded delete causes violation of foreign key constraint
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:44 am 

Hi all,
I recently tried to migrate databases and update Hibernate to a newer version, but this is giving me some trouble when it comes to cascaded deletes.
Our database contains some surveys. These surveys each have a number of mailings, and these mailings contain Informations, which are basically String containers for multiple translations of the same piece of text.

The relevant mappings are:

SurveyDefinition.hbm.xml:
Code:
<set name="mailings" inverse="true" cascade="evict, delete">
   <key column="surveyDefinition" on-delete="cascade"/>
   <one-to-many class="Mailing" />
</set>

Mailing.hbm.xml:
Code:
<many-to-one name="content" class="Information" not-null="true" unique="true" cascade="all" />
<many-to-one name="subject" class="Information" not-null="true" unique="true" cascade="all" />

Information.hbm.xml:
Code:
<id name="id" column="id">
   <generator class="native" />
</id>

Now, when deleting a survey, it should also delete all its mailings and all Informations belonging to these mailings. This used to happen just fine when using MySQL 5 in combination with Hibernate 3.3.2.GA. However, when migrating to PostgreSQL and/or upgrading to Hibernate 3.5.1-Final (all three of these other combinations fail!), I get a foreign key constraint violation when deleting the surveyDefinition. When I delete a mailing manually everything works just fine.

The exact error:
Code:
ERROR - JDBCExceptionReporter      - ERROR: update or delete on table "information" violates foreign key constraint "fk3471b287f8128fb" on table "mailings"
  Detail: Key (id)=(26) is still referenced from table "mailings".

The details of this constraint according to pgAdmin:
Code:
-- Foreign Key: fk3471b287f8128fb

-- ALTER TABLE mailings DROP CONSTRAINT fk3471b287f8128fb;

ALTER TABLE mailings
  ADD CONSTRAINT fk3471b287f8128fb FOREIGN KEY ("content")
      REFERENCES information (id) MATCH SIMPLE
      ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE NO ACTION;

The same problem occurs with other similar cascaded deletes. To me it seems that somehow Hibernate deletes things from the database in the wrong order, and not as a single transaction but in separate queries.
Can anyone shed any light on what I'm doing wrong? :) Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Cascaded delete causes violation of foreign key constraint
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:49 am 

*bump*
Can no one shed any light on this? I am at a complete loss.. Upgraded to 3.5.4-Final now, but the same problem remains.

Post subject: Re: Cascaded delete causes violation of foreign key constraint
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:49 am 

I am having the same issue. Any luck on this? Any help?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]