-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: @Formula and enum values
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:05 pm 

Hello all, I need help because I want to do something and I don't know why, let me explain:

I have an internal database procedure for calculating some stuff, and I want to retrieve the result in my application. This is done with the @Formula annotation:

@Formula("(select my_function(param1, param2))")
Integer myValue;

This is working great. The problem is that we are trying to do something a little bit more complicated. This function will always return us a value between two ends, and we defined already in our java project an Enum type that represents all the possible values, in this way:

public enum MyEnum {

VALUE1(1),

VALUE2(2),

private int value;

/**
* Constructor.
* @param value Literal value
*/
private MyEnum(int value) {
this.value = value;
}

/**
* Gets the literal value.
* @return Literal value
*/
public int toValue() {
return value;
}

/**
* Gets a literal instance by value.
* @param value Literal value
* @return The literal with the given value. Returns <tt>null</tt> when the value does not belong to a defined literal.
*/
public static MyEnum fromValue(int value) {
switch (value) {
case 1:
return VALUE1;
case 2:
return VALUE2;
default:
return null;
}
}

}

The idea is to change the field from Integer to MyEnum and teach hibernate how to set the value. I tried to use the @Type annotation together with the @Formula annotation, but this seems not to be a good idea since I'm getting this exception.

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.hibernate.cfg.Ejb3Column.getName(Ejb3Column.java:203)
at org.hibernate.cfg.annotations.SimpleValueBinder.setType(SimpleValueBinder.java:172)
at org.hibernate.cfg.annotations.PropertyBinder.bind(PropertyBinder.java:120)
at org.hibernate.cfg.AnnotationBinder.processElementAnnotations(AnnotationBinder.java:1667)
at org.hibernate.cfg.AnnotationBinder.bindClass(AnnotationBinder.java:754)
at org.hibernate.cfg.AnnotationConfiguration.processArtifactsOfType(AnnotationConfiguration.java:546)
at org.hibernate.cfg.AnnotationConfiguration.secondPassCompile(AnnotationConfiguration.java:291)
at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildMappings(Configuration.java:1148)
at org.hibernate.ejb.Ejb3Configuration.buildMappings(Ejb3Configuration.java:1226)
at org.hibernate.ejb.EventListenerConfigurator.configure(EventListenerConfigurator.java:173)
at org.hibernate.ejb.Ejb3Configuration.configure(Ejb3Configuration.java:854)
at org.hibernate.ejb.Ejb3Configuration.configure(Ejb3Configuration.java:425)
at org.hibernate.ejb.HibernatePersistence.createContainerEntityManagerFactory(HibernatePersistence.java:131)
at org.jboss.jpa.deployment.PersistenceUnitDeployment.start(PersistenceUnitDeployment.java:301)

Does anyone knows how to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: @Formula and enum values
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:16 pm 

I hope this might help u https://www.hibernate.org/272.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:54 am 

Exactly!, this is what I'm trying, but in my case the field is calculated, it's not stored, so I'm using the @Formula annotation instead the @Column annotation, and when I combine them in this way:

@Formula("(my_sql_statement)")
@Type(type="MyEnum")
private MyEnum myField = null;

I got this exception when I try to deploy

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.hibernate.cfg.Ejb3Column.getName(Ejb3Column.java:203)
at org.hibernate.cfg.annotations.SimpleValueBinder.setType(SimpleValueBinder.java:172)
at org.hibernate.cfg.annotations.PropertyBinder.bind(PropertyBinder.java:120)
at org.hibernate.cfg.AnnotationBinder.processElementAnnotations(AnnotationBinder.java:1667)
at org.hibernate.cfg.AnnotationBinder.bindClass(AnnotationBinder.java:754)
at org.hibernate.cfg.AnnotationConfiguration.processArtifactsOfType(AnnotationConfiguration.java:546)
at org.hibernate.cfg.AnnotationConfiguration.secondPassCompile(AnnotationConfiguration.java:291)
at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildMappings(Configuration.java:1148)
at org.hibernate.ejb.Ejb3Configuration.buildMappings(Ejb3Configuration.java:1226)
at org.hibernate.ejb.EventListenerConfigurator.configure(EventListenerConfigurator.java:173)
at org.hibernate.ejb.Ejb3Configuration.configure(Ejb3Configuration.java:854)
at org.hibernate.ejb.Ejb3Configuration.configure(Ejb3Configuration.java:425)
at org.hibernate.ejb.HibernatePersistence.createContainerEntityManagerFactory(HibernatePersistence.java:131)
at org.jboss.jpa.deployment.PersistenceUnitDeployment.start(PersistenceUnitDeployment.java:301)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:45 am 

anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:04 am 

Hi, we have exactly the same problem. I think the problem is in the org.hibernate.cfg.annotations.SimpleValueBinder.setType(XProperty, XClass) method. I have created a bug http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HHH-6347

One possible workaround is:

@Formula("(my_sql_statement)")
@Type(type="MyEnum")
private Object MyEnum = null;

public MyEnum getMyField() { return (MyEnum)this.myField; }

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]