-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Annotating Entities for Seam
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:05 pm 

I am new to Hibernate and am running into an issue that seems pretty common, when I search on it, but haven't found a solution. I am using Seam 2.2.1, Hibernate 3 and JSF.

I have an entity: Request, which has a requester:

Code:
   @ManyToOne(fetch=FetchType.EAGER, cascade={CascadeType.MERGE,CascadeType.REFRESH})
   @JoinColumn(name="requester_badge", referencedColumnName="badge_number")
   private PersonSnapshotEntity requester;

and has zero or more approvals:

Code:

@OneToMany(mappedBy = "request", cascade={CascadeType.ALL})
   @Cache(usage = CacheConcurrencyStrategy.READ_WRITE)
   private List<ApprovalEntity> approvals;

and zero or one type:

Code:

@ManyToOne(fetch=FetchType.EAGER, cascade={CascadeType.MERGE})
   @JoinColumn(name="publication_type", referencedColumnName="id")
   private PublicationTypeEntity publicationType;

among other relationships.

My Approval entity has an approver (PersonSnapshotEntity, also):

Code:

@NotNull
   @ManyToOne(fetch=FetchType.EAGER, cascade={CascadeType.MERGE,CascadeType.REFRESH})
   @JoinColumn(name="approver_badge", referencedColumnName="badge_number")
   private PersonSnapshotEntity approver;

So, my relationships are all unidirectional.

I understand that I cannot eagerly fetch all of the child collections (approvals, notes, notifications...) due to a limitation in Hibernate.

When I first submit a Request, providing a requester, a type, a description and an approval, I am able to submit it the first time through without any exceptions. However, if I attempt to submit a change to it, I get the dreaded "detached entity" error. Based on the stack trace, it appears to be related to the assignment of the approver to the approval. As I step into my breakpoint, I see the PersonSnapshotEntity being referenced is that of a manager who is named in the approval in the test. This is the exception:

Code:
Caused by: org.hibernate.PersistentObjectException: detached entity passed to persist: org.aero.libreq.entity.PersonSnapshotEntity

When I go to save the request and the child approval is persisted, logic tries to pull a fresh copy of the personSnapshot by the id from the database before the persist. But the ID comes back null.

How can I assure that these objects are correctly synchronized when I pull them from the database, when I update them in the UI (user can change the approver in an approval, for example) and when I persist/merge the changes?

Thanks!
Ginni

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]