-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate usefull in the following situation
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:52 am 

I have an Oracle database that runs a PL/SQl job once every week to copy data from a table in the Oracle database to another Oracle database using Oracle database links. Both systems run on Unix/Solaris. The job is scheduled and executed via the Unix Cron facility.

The remote machine is now being migrated from UNIX to a Windows platform with a MSQL Server database. I have been looking into the possibility of using Oracle database links to connect from UNIX to the MSSQL Server database which will be running on a Windows platform. It is possible but it looks to me like there is a lot of fiddling around to get it to work and there is not a lot of information on how to implement it.

The other solution i am thinking of is to implement the process as a Java daemon process that will run every week. All it will do is connect to the Oracle database read data from some tables, connect to the MSSQL Server database and run some insert commands. I think i will need two kind of drivers for this - i.e. jdbc for Oracle and jdbc for MSSQL Server.

Does Hibernate provide any facility that will make the above easier to implement and or maintain? (Specifically the multiple drivers and the scheduling part of the requirements)

Feel free to also suggest a better solution :)

Thanks

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]