-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Unwanted join added when using "order by" on nested property
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:38 am 

Hello,

I have a problem in an HQL query. I'm trying to get an ordered list of "Connection" objects using the following query :
Code:
FROM Connection AS connection ORDER BY connection.message.status ASC

When I look at the generated query, it seems that Hibernate adds a JOIN clause like this :

Code:
select [...] from CONNECTION connection0_, MESSAGE message1_ where connection0_.ID_MESSAGE=message1_.SID_MESSAGE order by message1_.ID_STATUS ASC

It's cool, but unfortunately it adds an INNER JOIN by default. So, my result list contains only the Connections that have a reference to a message. The connections without message aren't listed. How can I tell Hibernate to add a left outer join instead ?

Here is the mapping between Connection and Message.

Code:
public class Connection {

@ManyToOne(fetch=FetchType.EAGER)
    @JoinColumn(name="ID_MESSAGE", nullable=true)
    @ForeignKey(name = "FK_MESSAGE_CONNECTION")
    private Message message;

}

I tried to add "optional=true" to the ManyToOne annotation, but it doesn't change anything.
I tried adding manually a left outer join, but the result list contains raw data and not persistent objects.

Post subject: Re: Unwanted join added when using "order by" on nested property
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:59 am 

I found a workaround for this problem.

I used the Criteria API, so I can add my LEFT OUTER JOIN manually...
Code:
criteria.createAlias(path, alias, CriteriaSpecification.LEFT_JOIN)

.. and still get persistent objects in the result list.

However I am still interested in a solution using HQL AND returning persistent objects.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:49 pm 
Expert
Expert

I really don't understand what you mean with "the result list contains raw data and not persistent objects". Manually specifying a left join in the HQL should work:

Code:
select connection FROM Connection AS connection left join connection.message as msg ORDER BY msg.status ASC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:35 am 

I'm sorry I probably didn't use the correct terms.

What I meant was that this request :
Code:
FROM Connection AS connection ORDER BY connection.message.status ASC

returns a List of Connection objects.

And this request :
Code:
FROM Connection AS connection left join connection.message as msg ORDER BY msg.status ASC

returns a List of List<Object> containing the fields of both Connection and Message tables.

But I realized my mistake when I read your answer. If I add a projection SELECT connection to the second query, the result is then a List<Connection>.

Thank you for your help !

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]