-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate executes too many queries...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:11 am 

Hi, I'm working for the first time with Hibernate and I'm having some query problems.

When I execute a simple retrieve with my DAO :
Code:
@Override
   public SortedSet<Jurisdiction> getAllSortedWithLocalized() {
      SortedSet<Jurisdiction> results = new TreeSet<Jurisdiction>();
      Query query = this.session.createQuery(
            "from " + Jurisdiction.class.getName() + " jurisdiction " +
            "left join fetch jurisdiction.localizedFields ");

results.addAll(query.list());
      return results;
   }

Hibernate executes the following queries :

Hibernate: select jurisdicti0_.jur_id as jur1_0_0_, localizedf1_.locale as locale1_1_, localizedf1_.jur_id as jur5_1_1_, jurisdicti0_.rank as rank0_0_, localizedf1_.title as title1_1_, localizedf1_.url_image as url3_1_1_, localizedf1_.url_image_target as url4_1_1_, localizedf1_.jur_id as jur5_0_0__, localizedf1_.locale as locale0__, localizedf1_.jur_id as jur5_0__ from jurisdiction jurisdicti0_ left outer join jurisdiction_localized localizedf1_ on jurisdicti0_.jur_id=localizedf1_.jur_id
Hibernate: select jurisdicti0_.jur_id as jur1_0_0_, jurisdicti0_.rank as rank0_0_ from jurisdiction jurisdicti0_ where jurisdicti0_.jur_id=?
Hibernate: select jurisdicti0_.jur_id as jur1_0_0_, jurisdicti0_.rank as rank0_0_ from jurisdiction jurisdicti0_ where jurisdicti0_.jur_id=?

Now, the first executed query retrieves everything I need... all of the jurisdiction and their localized fields. The problem is after the first query, Hibernate executes a SELECT for EVERY jurisdiction in the database. I can't figure out why, since those fields are already retrieved with the first query.

Here is my entity class (minus all getters/setters) :
Code:
@Entity
@Table(name = "jurisdiction")
public class Jurisdiction implements Comparable<Jurisdiction>{

@Column(name = "jur_id")
   @Id
   private String jurId;

private Integer rank;

@Sort(type=SortType.NATURAL)
   @OneToMany(mappedBy="jurisdiction", cascade=CascadeType.ALL, fetch=FetchType.LAZY)
   private SortedSet<FrequentlyConsultedDocument> frequentlyConsultedDocuments = new TreeSet<FrequentlyConsultedDocument>();

@OneToMany(mappedBy="jurisdiction", cascade=CascadeType.ALL, fetch=FetchType.LAZY)
   private SortedSet<ExternalLink> externalLinks = new TreeSet<ExternalLink>();

@Where(clause="collection_type='COURT'")
   private SortedSet<Collection> courts = new TreeSet<Collection>();

@Where(clause="collection_type='TRIBUNAL'")
   private SortedSet<Collection> tribunals = new TreeSet<Collection>();

@OneToMany(targetEntity=JurisdictionLocalizedFields.class, mappedBy="jurisdiction", cascade=CascadeType.ALL, fetch=FetchType.LAZY)
   @MapKeyColumn(name="locale")
   private Map<Locale, JurisdictionLocalizedFields> localizedFields = new HashMap<Locale, JurisdictionLocalizedFields>(2);

public Jurisdiction(){}

public Jurisdiction(String jurId, int rank) {
      this.jurId = jurId;
      this.rank = rank;
   }

@Entity
   @Table(name = "jurisdiction_localized")
   public static class JurisdictionLocalizedFields implements Serializable {
      private static final long serialVersionUID = 1L;

@Id
      Locale locale;

String title;

@Column(name = "url_image")
      String urlImage;

@Column(name = "url_image_target")
      String urlImageTarget;

@ManyToOne
      @JoinColumn(name="jur_id")
      @Id Jurisdiction jurisdiction;

public JurisdictionLocalizedFields(){}

public JurisdictionLocalizedFields(Locale locale, Jurisdiction jurisdiction, String title, String urlImage, String urlImageTarget){
         this.jurisdiction = jurisdiction;
         this.locale = locale;
         this.urlImage = urlImage;
         this.urlImageTarget = urlImageTarget;
      }
         }

I am using the Hibernate version 3.6.1.Final with the Postgresql dialect.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Hibernate executes too many queries...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:56 am 

I still did not find any solution and I've been on this problem for some days now... anything would be very helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:28 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Not sure if this is related to your issue or not... but I noticed you have jurisdiction annotated with @Id on the many side of your one-to-many from Jurisdiction to JurisdictionLocalizedFields (maybe that's due to the fact that you're using a Map - hard to say because I've never actually needed to "map" a relationship in that way). Also seems a little odd using the static modifier on JurisdictionLocalizedFields... I'd try separating that into a top level class rather than embedding it within Jurisdiction. The mapping for courts and tribunals also seems a little puzzling... can't say I've mapped many collections of type Collection (or any for that matter). I'd expect those to be declared as Set<Court> and Set<Tribunal> but it's possible I'm missing something.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:20 pm 

You were right burro, that @Id on the many side of my relation was causing all those queries to execute. I tried with a generated value as id and it was all good!

I was about to give up on that bug and switch my DAOs to a JDBC implementation. Thanks to you I'll stay with Hibernate :D

Thanks alot for your time!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]