-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: ClassCastException when using DiscriminatorColumn/Value
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:40 pm 

Hello,

I've just upgraded our software hibernate 3.6.2 from 3.5.5. The update went smoothly until I ran the tests and had this error.

Code:
java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Character
   at org.hibernate.type.descriptor.java.CharacterTypeDescriptor.unwrap(CharacterTypeDescriptor.java:34)
   at org.hibernate.type.descriptor.sql.VarcharTypeDescriptor$1.doBind(VarcharTypeDescriptor.java:52)
   at org.hibernate.type.descriptor.sql.BasicBinder.bind(BasicBinder.java:91)
   at org.hibernate.type.AbstractStandardBasicType.nullSafeSet(AbstractStandardBasicType.java:282)
   at org.hibernate.type.AbstractStandardBasicType.nullSafeSet(AbstractStandardBasicType.java:277)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.bindPositionalParameters(Loader.java:1873)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.bindParameterValues(Loader.java:1844)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.prepareQueryStatement(Loader.java:1716)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQuery(Loader.java:801)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQueryAndInitializeNonLazyCollections(Loader.java:274)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doList(Loader.java:2533)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.listIgnoreQueryCache(Loader.java:2276)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.list(Loader.java:2271)
   at org.hibernate.loader.criteria.CriteriaLoader.list(CriteriaLoader.java:119)
   at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.list(SessionImpl.java:1716)
   at org.hibernate.impl.CriteriaImpl.list(CriteriaImpl.java:347)

That got me investigating, and I found that this was my problem :
Code:
@DiscriminatorColumn( discriminatorType = DiscriminatorType.CHAR )
@DiscriminatorValue( DiscriminatorValues.ABSTRACT )

Where, DiscriminatorValues.ABSTRACT is a string constant of length 1.

Now has a work around, I tried @DiscriminatorColumn( discriminatorType = DiscriminatorType.STRING, length = 1 ) and everything went well and worked fine.
Just to test things out, I decided to put the discriminatorType as an Integer, and a new ClassCastException happened.

What I'm currently wondering is if this is a real bug, or a wanted effect?

I know I could leave @DiscriminatorColumn( discriminatorType = DiscriminatorType.STRING, length = 1 ), and be done with it. But, this also triggers a change in MySQL from the DTYPE column to be a varchar(1) instead of a char.

Any pointers at if this is a bug would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: ClassCastException when using DiscriminatorColumn/Value
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:46 am 

So I guess I could try and file a jira for this?

Post subject: Re: ClassCastException when using DiscriminatorColumn/Value
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:59 am 

jducharme wrote:
Hello,

I've just upgraded our software hibernate 3.6.2 from 3.5.5. The update went smoothly until I ran the tests and had this error.

Code:
java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to java.lang.Character
   at org.hibernate.type.descriptor.java.CharacterTypeDescriptor.unwrap(CharacterTypeDescriptor.java:34)
   at org.hibernate.type.descriptor.sql.VarcharTypeDescriptor$1.doBind(VarcharTypeDescriptor.java:52)
   at org.hibernate.type.descriptor.sql.BasicBinder.bind(BasicBinder.java:91)
   at org.hibernate.type.AbstractStandardBasicType.nullSafeSet(AbstractStandardBasicType.java:282)
   at org.hibernate.type.AbstractStandardBasicType.nullSafeSet(AbstractStandardBasicType.java:277)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.bindPositionalParameters(Loader.java:1873)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.bindParameterValues(Loader.java:1844)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.prepareQueryStatement(Loader.java:1716)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQuery(Loader.java:801)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQueryAndInitializeNonLazyCollections(Loader.java:274)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doList(Loader.java:2533)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.listIgnoreQueryCache(Loader.java:2276)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.list(Loader.java:2271)
   at org.hibernate.loader.criteria.CriteriaLoader.list(CriteriaLoader.java:119)
   at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.list(SessionImpl.java:1716)
   at org.hibernate.impl.CriteriaImpl.list(CriteriaImpl.java:347)

That got me investigating, and I found that this was my problem :
Code:
@DiscriminatorColumn( discriminatorType = DiscriminatorType.CHAR )
@DiscriminatorValue( DiscriminatorValues.ABSTRACT )

Where, DiscriminatorValues.ABSTRACT is a string constant of length 1.

Now has a work around, I tried @DiscriminatorColumn( discriminatorType = DiscriminatorType.STRING, length = 1 ) and everything went well and worked fine.
Just to test things out, I decided to put the discriminatorType as an Integer, and a new ClassCastException happened.

What I'm currently wondering is if this is a real bug, or a wanted effect?

I know I could leave @DiscriminatorColumn( discriminatorType = DiscriminatorType.STRING, length = 1 ), and be done with it. But, this also triggers a change in MySQL from the DTYPE column to be a varchar(1) instead of a char.

Any pointers at if this is a bug would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Did you ever submit your problem? I'm not sure simply seeking out a Jira file is the best first step. The developers should probably take a crack at it. It seems this problem may be unique to you as I have not seen much as far as the mentioned upgrade is concerned. I know that when I tried to fix an issue myself, I ended up spending days on cloud computing experiments just to get everything in safe storage and lined up with the proper IT calibration. It has been a good task for the resume, but if an IT staffing thinks I'm too smart I could be put in a weird place, haha.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]