-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Paging query returns different results depending on database
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:02 am 

Hi,
I want to get a (paginated) list of account numbers from a temporary report table that contains a list of deals. A row has got reportid, a deal, and an account:

Code:
CREATE TABLE REPORT ( REPORTID  INTEGER, DEAL INTEGER, ACCOUNT VARCHAR(25))

I use the query:

Code:
SQLQuery query = session.createSQLQuery("select distinct ACCOUNT from REPORT where REPORTID  = ? ORDER BY ACCOUNT  ");
[b]query.setFirstResult(startRow);[/b]
if (blockSize > 0) {
   [b]query.setMaxResults(blockSize);[/b]
}
List<String> accounts = query.list();

The problem ist: depending on the database the accounts list object does NOT contain only strings.
With Oracle 10g the list contains a list af arrays; every array has a length of 2 with object[0] : ACCOUNTNO, object[1]: Row-Number (BigDecimal)

For Oracle Hibernate performs a query like this:

Code:
select * from ( select row_.*, rownum rownum_ from ( select distinct ACCOUNT from REPORT where REPORTID = ? ORDER BY ACCOUNT ) row_ where rownum <= ?) where rownum_ > ?

With DB2 the query generated by Hibernate is even different: the order of ACCOUNT and row number is different: the row number comes first and is a BigInteger.

Trying all this with H2 everything is as expected.

Is there any solution to handle these database specific problems?

Do I have to write database specific code for inspecting the query results?

I cannot believe...
Please help. Thanks!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]