-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: What is this query for? ...SELECT NULL AS table_cat...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:53 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

We are experiencing issues with session blocking in our production environment. It appears that this query is executed by Hibernate, but I am having problems understanding when it executes and for what purpose. It is a process-intensive query that takes around 5+ seconds to return results.

Code:
SELECT NULL AS table_cat, o.owner AS table_schem, o.object_name AS table_name, o.object_type AS table_type, NULL AS remarks
FROM all_objects o
WHERE o.owner LIKE :1 ESCAPE '/' AND o.object_name LIKE :2 ESCAPE '/' AND o.object_type IN ('xxx', 'TABLE') ORDER BY table_type, table_schem, table_name

Since the query is using bind variables, I cannot determine the exact query results. However, I run this using wildcards ('%') and this is how I am basing my assumptions.

Here is the query with the wildcards:
Code:
SELECT NULL AS table_cat, o.owner AS table_schem, o.object_name AS table_name, o.object_type AS table_type, NULL AS remarks
FROM all_objects o
WHERE o.owner LIKE '%' ESCAPE '/' AND o.object_name LIKE '%' ESCAPE '/' AND o.object_type IN ('xxx', 'TABLE') ORDER BY table_type, table_schem, table_name

I am running Hibernate 2.5 against Oracle 11G using Tomcat 6, IIS 7.5, and Windows Server 2008 R2.

My questions:

What criteria must be met for Hibernate to execute this query?
    What is the purpose of this query?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: What is this query for? ...SELECT NULL AS table_cat...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:02 am 
Expert
Expert

Seems like a query to retrieve metadata about the tables in your database. As far as I know Hibernate is only interested in this at startup time (eg. when creating a SessionFactory). It is nothing that should be seen during normal operations.

Post subject: Re: What is this query for? ...SELECT NULL AS table_cat...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:40 am 
Beginner
Beginner

nordborg wrote:
Seems like a query to retrieve metadata about the tables in your database. As far as I know Hibernate is only interested in this at startup time (eg. when creating a SessionFactory). It is nothing that should be seen during normal operations.

That's what we assumed as well. However, we are seeing this query come across multiple times after the application has been started.

Maybe it has something to do with the C3PO connection pooling?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]