-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Map keys of a java Map to a table
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:24 pm 

Hi
I have a Map with keys where i wa to map the keys of themap as table columns,

So if Class Country has a map with Strings of cities as keys in the map i want a mapping when done reates a table with a name equivalent to Map reference with Map keys as table columns.

Can this be done. Please help urgent.

Post subject: Re: Map keys of a java Map to a table
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:02 am 

Have you checked the hibernate reference documentation, there is section called as "Dynamic Models" where you will find an example.

The only thing what you need additional is a dynamic table creation, which i don't think hibernate will be able to do it. Alternatively you can write your own UserType implementations for customizing the way how a property of a bean is persisted and then retrieved back.

Let me know your comments on the same!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:15 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Are you trying to create dynamic tables based on your map column ? Can you elaborate your requirement which forces you to choose this design ?

Anyways you can use database store procedure for this and can call using named query.

Thanks
-Vishal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:48 am 

HI

Thanks for the reply.

The motive behind this is our existing design.

Where ther is a class A that holds a map.

And A is associated with B where B has A.

So when B is updated/saved the Map field in A should be updated/saved as well. So that the Keys in the Map will be Table columns and values represent values per column.

And This map has a many-to-one with B. That is One of B can have many different Maps

Alternative suggestions are welcome.

Hope this is clear.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:53 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Is your map expendable ? I mean are the columns fixed or u can increase the key value pair anytime.If its fixed then get rid off the map and move all properties in A and create a hbm for A.

If your legacy code usage the map and u can not avoid that then create the mapping of A with only a map.

Code:
<map name="properties">
            <key column="id"/>
            <index column="property_name" type="string"/>
            <element column="property_value" type="string"/>
        </map>

I am sorry if you have a dynamic map and you want to create a table with every save.

Thanks
-Vishal

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]