-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: How to use ManyToOne to look up by other column first?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:57 pm 

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible to use a ManyToOne annotation to 'find or create' on the reference table.

Code:
class Foo {
   @ManyToOne(fetch=FetchType.EAGER)
   @JoinColumn(name = "reference_table_id")
   ReferenceTable referenceTable;
}

class ReferenceTable {
   @Id
   @GeneratedValue
   @Column(name = "id")
   Integer id;

@Column(name = "description")
   String description;
}

ReferenceTable can be null. A Foo object is created without any problems, but when I go to add a ReferenceTable to it later, it always creates a new entry. I'd like to look up by 'description' first and use that if it exists, otherwise create a new one.

I tried implementing this in code, but I get a TransientObjectException when I try to do the find. I think it smells that I have to do the find manually, so I probably don't understand how best to use the many-to-one relationship in hibernate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]