-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Taking care of Non-Nullable Fields in update()
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:15 pm 

I am using the Update method of Hibernate to update a certain row.

I created my tablebean, populated it with the primary key, and then the secondary fields I want to change, and then executed the update:

TableBeanT newT = new TableBeanT();
newT.setID(..); // primary key
newT.setField1(..); // my update
getHibernateTemplate().update(newT);

The table also has some non-null columns. I didn't populate them in my bean, because I don't know/care what they are right now, I am not updating them.

However, Hibernate complains about inserting nulls into non-null columns. Is there a way to quickly save the non-null values of the existing bean and re-populate them into the new bean? Do I need to do a manual fetch before doing an update? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Taking care of Non-Nullable Fields in update()
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:34 pm 
Expert
Expert

I don't know the Template thingy you are using (Spring?), but I can give a basic idea: Load the entity using the id, change the values you want to change and then flush the session (no need to call update, because the entity is still attached to the session and Hibernate tracks any changes).

Schauderhaft: Softwaredevelopment, Projectmanagement, Qualitymanagement and all things "schauderhaft"

Post subject: Re: Taking care of Non-Nullable Fields in update()
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:28 am 
Regular
Regular

Hi NewToHibernate2010, "
Quote:
Where there is will there is a way
". There is way in hibernate too. You have to use your own user type. If this type is same across all the tables and its not null field, you can make values using user type.

<type name="userType">
<param name="get-default">no</param>
</type>

This parameter needs to be set using User Type class. dynami-insert="true" dynamic-update="true" in element class in mapping file.

Cheers!
Shynate
mailto:shynate26@gmail.com
www.CSSCORP.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]