-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: ActionQueue execution order
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:50 pm 

Hi,

looking at the source code of Hibernate, at org.hibernate.engine.ActionQueue class, my question is:
why the execute actions are in this order: 'insertions', 'updates', 'collectionRemovals', 'collectionUpdates', 'collectionCreations', 'deletions' ?

which problems can occur at database if I move the execution of 'collectionRemovals' and 'deletions' to the top of action list ?

Code:
public void executeActions() throws HibernateException {
      executeActions( collectionRemovals ); // my change
      executeActions( deletions ); // my change
      executeActions( insertions );
      executeActions( updates );
      executeActions( collectionUpdates );
      executeActions( collectionCreations );
   }

Post subject: Re: ActionQueue execution order
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:48 pm 
Expert
Expert

What are you trying to accomplish with your change? The one thing that springs to mind is a scenario we bump into from time to time where we want to clear a collection and then insert new records into it but then run into unique index violations since the inserts happen prior to the deletes.

If you feel strongly about your use case you might consider raising a JIRA issue as an improvement and see what the devs say. I'm not sure if there's a hard and fast reason to the ordering or not but you could make your change and run their test suite as a starting point to see what comes off the rails.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]