-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Dynamic Fields Possible?
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:46 pm 

class Question {
long id; // primary key
String description;
}

class Vote {
long id;
long question_id; // points to question's id
boolean vote; // 0 = no, 1 = yes;
}

I have one class per table mapping set up and I am not using hibernate to generate my java classes

My issue is that I want to display the data in the following form:

Description | Total Yes | Total No
Do you like Red? | 10 | 2
Do you like blue? | 20 | 1

So my original query looked like:

from Question;

This would select all questions. Now I want to add the count(*) to the query result.
I do not want hibernate to return just a generic multi dimensional List of objects. I would like to find a way to "tack on" the count(*) as a dynamic field in the java object
so I could use reflection to say getTotalYes() votes. The reason I do not just add a member variable is that the count values are only used for visual display in one part of the app.

Is there a built in way to do this or do I have to either return a generic results set/add a member variable.

I don't like adding the member variable because then I am pushing interface elements down to my data layer and I don't like the generic Lists since I would have to go back and change a lot of code.

Any ideas?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]