-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Basic questions: NonUniqueObjectException and more
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:04 am 

Hi,

I'm starting with hibernate, testing it in a J2SE environment.

These are some very basic questions, I'm reading the documentation at the same time, still probably the explanation is somewhere on the documentation, in a more advanced chapter. Since I'm testing/trying as I'm reading it, I'm asking some help on understanding a bit more.

During some basic testing, I'm struggling to find and understand a specific problem:

Code:
org.hibernate.NonUniqueObjectException: a different object with the same identifier value was already associated with the session: [com.hibernate.model.Company#1]

Database is MySQL, with following definitions:

Code:
create table COMPANY
(
   ID                   bigint not null,
   DESCRIPTION          char(200) not null,
   primary key (ID)
) ENGINE=INNODB;

insert into company(id, description) values(1, 'Company One');
insert into company(id, description) values(2, 'Second Company');

Now the java code "problems" I found:

1# Persisting an existing record:

Code:
      EntityManagerFactory emf = Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory("my_factory");
      EntityManager em = emf.createEntityManager();

Company company = em.find(Company.class, new Long(1));
      logger.info("Company [{};{}]", new Object[] { company.getId(), company.getDescription() });
      for( Employee employee : company.getEmployees() ) {
         logger.info("Employee [{};{};{}]", new Object[] { employee.getId(), employee.getName(), employee.getGenre().getDescription() });
      }

Company newCompany = new Company();
      newCompany.setId(1);
      newCompany.setDescription("New Company");
      em.persist(newCompany);

em.close();
      emf.close();

In this case I get the following exception:

Code:
org.hibernate.NonUniqueObjectException: a different object with the same identifier value was already associated with the session: [com.hibernate.model.Company#1]
javax.persistence.PersistenceException: org.hibernate.NonUniqueObjectException: a different object with the same identifier value was already associated with the session: [com.hibernate.model.Company#1]

This just confuses me ... shouldn't I be getting an error related with duplicate index on database?

Now if I change this line of code to:

Code:
newCompany.setId(2);

I get no more errors, still it doesn't store anything in the database ... and it couldn't do it anyway, as the index already exists. I was hopping to get an exception here, still nothing happens ...

So I believe it didn't create any transaction? And no storage to the database? Shouldn't the transaction be automatically created, with autocommit=true or something like that?

2# Working with explicit transaction:

Code:
      EntityManagerFactory emf = Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory("my_factory");
      EntityManager em = emf.createEntityManager();

Company company = em.find(Company.class, new Long(1));
      logger.info("Company [{};{}]", new Object[] { company.getId(), company.getDescription() });
      for( Employee employee : company.getEmployees() ) {
         logger.info("Employee [{};{};{}]", new Object[] { employee.getId(), employee.getName(), employee.getGenre().getDescription() });
      }

em.getTransaction().begin();

Company newCompany = new Company();
      newCompany.setId(1);
      newCompany.setDescription("New Company");
      em.persist(newCompany);

em.getTransaction().commit();

em.close();
      emf.close();

Now I'm getting the same error as before:

Code:
javax.persistence.PersistenceException: org.hibernate.NonUniqueObjectException: a different object with the same identifier value was already associated with the session: [com.hibernate.model.Company#1]

Now if I change this line of code (again) to:

Code:
newCompany.setId(2);

I get the error:
Code:
org.hibernate.exception.ConstraintViolationException: Could not execute JDBC batch update
Caused by: java.sql.BatchUpdateException: Duplicate entry '2' for key 'PRIMARY'

Hurray! That was the kind of error I was expecting, in every code execution I run ...

Can anyone explain this behavior to me?

Is the begin/commit instructions always required? Shouldn't hibernate manage it by itself as default (probably there is a setting, although I prefer to explicitly declare transaction boundaries)?

Can anyone explain that "org.hibernate.NonUniqueObjectException" error? I've read ID=1 object, then I create and try to persist an object with ID=1. Okay, so it should give me an error, but I was expecting the error to be like a "duplicate primary key" error exception ... does it mean hibernate caches objects to the point of checking before trying persisting them?

Thanks

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]