-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Getting CacheKey for an object
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:29 pm 

So I'm using Hibernate with ehcache as a 2nd level cache provider.

In some cases I manually create a Hibernate entity (that is, I'm not loading it from the DB) and then wish to put this entity in the appropriate ehcache cache instance.

And I know ehcache caches based on the org.hibernate.cache.CacheKey of a Hibernate entity.

My question is how do I get the CacheKey of a given object I instantiated myself to use for the cache put?

I see the constructor API doc but am looking for a code example since I'm not sure exactly what I need to pass or if that's even the right way to go about getting a CacheKey.

Post subject: Re: Getting CacheKey for an object
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:52 am 
Expert
Expert

Hi,

also I am using EHcache as 2nd level cache provider,
but I see absolutely no reason why someone should manually put instances into 2Lcache!
Hibernate does it automatically for you if you define your persistent classes properly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:45 pm 

To be clear, I'm just JPA w/ Hibernate impl.

When I do entityManager.find(Foo.class, 1) the entity IS cached and REPLICATED.

But the issue I'm seeing is that entityManager.persist does not cache the newly created object.

I could do persist then find I guess but I'd prefer to just do the cache put myself.

But perhaps I'm missing something and persist should in fact cache the new entity?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:04 pm 

I guess the answer is NOT to use persist... entities passed to persist are NOT cached or replicated :-)

If you call merge in all cases, it will replicate the change. Good enough for me I guess!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]