-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: JSF + Hibernate best practice
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:54 pm 

Hello. I'm figuring out how to integrate Hibernate with JSF 2.0 and I'm curious what the best practice is, particularly for the beans.

I'm using annotations to configure both hibernate and JSF. Currently I'm constructing it so that the JSF managed beans are being persisted with hibernate, with @Transient annotations on any getters that I don't want saved.

Is this the "right" way to do it?

Post subject: Re: JSF + Hibernate best practice
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:15 pm 

Another couple of questions:

When doing things like sorting lists, should I get the database to do the sorting, or should I just load it into a List and sort it using java code?

When objects contain references to other objects, should the property be a reference to an object that is automatically loaded from the database, or simply a long (or whatever) representing the database key, and I manually load the referenced object from the database?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:44 pm 

Have written a blog post about putting jsf 2.0 spring 3.0.0 and hibernate 3.2.2GA together ... here is the link

http://blog.pariyani.com/?p=7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:36 am 
Expert
Expert

Quote:
or simply a long (or whatever) representing the database key

No, don't bother playing around with keys. Use object references -after all, that's what Object-Relational mapping is all about. Just make the association lazy, so you don't always load the associated object. If you do need the associated object, make sure it's loaded while a Hibernate Session and a transaction is still active.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]