-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: PostgreSQLDialect & postgres 8.4 (operator does not exist)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:39 pm 

Hi there,

Does someone know about an issue with hibernate 3.x and Postgres > 8.2 ?

We currently use Postgres 8.2.x and hibernate 3.2 within glassfish v2ur2.
We plan to migrate to an earlier machine with a little refresh of all of that.
That means Postgres 8.4.1, hibernate 3.3.2, glassfish v2.1.1

For now, i just run our application in this new environment as it.

Here is the trouble
Code:
Caused by: javax.persistence.PersistenceException: org.hibernate.exception.SQLGrammarException: could not execute query
   at org.hibernate.ejb.AbstractEntityManagerImpl.throwPersistenceException(AbstractEntityManagerImpl.java:637)
   at org.hibernate.ejb.QueryImpl.getSingleResult(QueryImpl.java:107)
   at hmd003.metier.ClientServiceBean.getClientForIhm(ClientServiceBean.java:292)

... number of lines

Caused by: org.hibernate.exception.SQLGrammarException: could not execute query
   at org.hibernate.exception.SQLStateConverter.convert(SQLStateConverter.java:90)
   at org.hibernate.exception.JDBCExceptionHelper.convert(JDBCExceptionHelper.java:66)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doList(Loader.java:2235)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.listIgnoreQueryCache(Loader.java:2129)

... number of lines

Caused by: [color=#800000]org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: operator does not exist: character varying = integer[/color]
  Hint: No operator matches the given name and argument type(s). You might need to add explicit type casts.
  Position: 5163
   at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.receiveErrorResponse(QueryExecutorImpl.java:2062)
   at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.processResults(QueryExecutorImpl.java:1795)
   at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:257)
   at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:479)
   at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeWithFlags(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:367)
   at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeQuery(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:271)
   at org.hibernate.jdbc.AbstractBatcher.getResultSet(AbstractBatcher.java:208)

... number of lines

A first look at postgres mailing list lets me know that
* postgres is more strict with the SQL syntax.
* Hibernate would SQL generate code with string parameter (setString) even for int type.

In fact i can get this kind of error in pure SQL.
If I run the query (where 'num' is an int) :
Code:
select * from client_client where num = '950000'::varchar

Then Postgres 8.2 returns the expected result ; But Postgres 8.4 shoots me with
Code:
ERROR:  operator does not exist: integer = character varying
LINE 1: select * from client_client where num = '950000'::varchar
                                              ^
HINT:  No operator matches the given name and argument type(s). You might need to add explicit type casts.

That lets me believe hibernate postgreSQLDialect could generate a dirty SQL for 8.4.

Could someone tell me if there is an issue or maybe I'm wrong ?
Thanks you for reading this long post :)

Here come more details about this case, if needed.
the query was
Code:
   @Override
   @TransactionAttribute(TransactionAttributeType.REQUIRED)
   public Client getClientForIhm(int idClient) {
      Query query = em.createQuery(
         "Select distinct c " +
         "from Client c " +
         "left join fetch c.listeTelecom_telecoms tc left join fetch tc.refNatureTelecom " +
         "left join fetch c.listeAdresse_adresses " +
         "left join fetch c.dernierCatalogueEnvoye " +
         "left join fetch c.idCodeAnalytique_contactOrigine " +
         "left join fetch c.langage " +
         "left join fetch c.marque " +
         "where c.num = :idClient");
      query.setParameter("idClient", idClient);

Client client = (Client) query.getSingleResult();
//... more code

The entity looks like
Code:
@Entity @org.hibernate.annotations.Entity (dynamicInsert=true, dynamicUpdate=true)
@Table (name="client_client")
@Proxy @BatchSize (size=10)
public class Client implements Serializable {

private static final long serialVersionUID = 1L;
   @Id @GeneratedValue (strategy=GenerationType.SEQUENCE, generator="client_num_seq")
   @SequenceGenerator (name="client_num_seq", sequenceName="client_num_seq", allocationSize = 1, initialValue=1)
   private Integer num;

// ... more code

Post subject: Re: PostgreSQLDialect & postgres 8.4 (operator does not exist)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:35 am 

Today, I try a workaround found at http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/84/connect.html#connection-parameters

there is a optional parameter for the jdbc driver that means to deal with the problem.

Quote:
stringtype = String

Specify the type to use when binding PreparedStatement parameters set via setString(). If stringtype is set to varchar (the default), such parameters will be sent to the server as varchar parameters. If stringtype is set to unspecified, parameters will be sent to the server as untyped values, and the server will attempt to infer an appropriate type. This is useful if you have an existing application that uses setString() to set parameters that are actually some other type, such as integers, and you are unable to change the application to use an appropriate method such as setInt().

But the result is the same...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]