-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: PersistentMap does not read records which have NULL
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:42 am 

Hi,

I am using Hibernate 3.2.3 along with springframework and currently I am encountering a production issue.

I have a mapping in which one of the item is a <map> this typically is mapped to a table which has a PK (composite) and one varchar field.

Code:
<map name="sectionTitles" table="BGR_SECTIONS"
            lazy="false" >
            <key column="ITEM_ID" />
            <map-key type="string" column="SECTN_NO" />
            <element type="string" column="SECTN_TITL" />
</map>

There is some data migrated to this table and the SECTN_TITL can be NULL. What I have observed is, hibernate is not reading the rows which has NULL in SECTN_TITL, and on further investigation I found the below code snippet in PersistentMap.readForm that really prohibits reading NULL elements into the Map.

Code:
   public Object readFrom(ResultSet rs, CollectionPersister persister, CollectionAliases descriptor, Object owner)
   throws HibernateException, SQLException {
      Object element = persister.readElement( rs, owner, descriptor.getSuffixedElementAliases(), getSession() );
      Object index = persister.readIndex( rs, descriptor.getSuffixedIndexAliases(), getSession() );
      if ( element!=null ) map.put(index, element);
      return element;
   }

If "IF" block highlighted in the above code snippet prohibits reading the NULL element therefore, I am not able to read the rows that contain NULL in the non-primary key field.

When I try to save a non-NULL value for the same PK, I am getting a ConstraintViolationException. In order to resolve this I extended the PersistentMap class, overridden the readFrom method and removed the if (element!=null) check. This has definitely fixed the issue i.e. i am now able to update the NULL values.

I have also created a JIRA ticket http://opensource.atlassian.com/project ... e/HHH-4515, but I am awaiting response from the Hibernate team.

Do you think the above modification of readFrom method is safer from all perspectives? I appreciate your views and comments.

Thanks,
Ram

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]