-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mapping a class hierarchy to multiple tables
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:51 am 

Hello,

I ran into a problem with Hibernate 3.3.2 GA regarding the mapping of a class hierarchy to multiple tables. This is what I want to do:

I have one class "employee" and a derived class "manager". This simple class hierarchy shall be mapped to the table "t_employee" with the following mapping:

Code:
<class name="employee" table="t_employee">
  <subclass name="manager" >
</class>

In addition I want to be able to save instances of these classes to a second table "t_employee_hist". Since I cannot map a classname more than once I use entity names and changed the mappings like this:

Code:
<class name="employee" table="t_employee" entity-name="EMPLOYEE">
  <subclass name="manager" entity-name="MANAGER">

<class name="employee" table="t_employee_hist" entity-name="EMPLOYEE_HIST">
  <subclass name="manager" entity-name="MANAGER_HIST">

I have to use the entityname attribute with the subclass mappings as well to avoid mapping errors. Now I want to be able to save an employee, regardless if it is an employee or a manager, with: session.save("EMPLOYEE", empl) or session.save("EMPLOYEE_HIST", empl)

My problem is that this only works with real employee instances. When trying to save instances of the derived manager class I get an exception that the entity mapping cannot be found. It works, however, when I call "save" with the entity name I used with the sublass mapping for the manager class.

Of course I don't want to check the actual class of the objects I save. After all, this is what I use Hibernate for.

The odd thing is, this used to work with previous versions. But when we switched to the new version we received the aforementioned exception.

So my question is, if this is a bug with the recent version of hibernate or if I do something wrong?

Karl.

Post subject: Re: Mapping a class hierarchy to multiple tables
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:25 pm 
Senior
Senior

Hi k.basso,

could it be possible that you lack of a discriminator column for Hibernate to distinguish different entities of the same class hierarchy within the same table?

CU
Froestel

Post subject: Re: Mapping a class hierarchy to multiple tables
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:08 pm 

Froestel wrote:
Hi k.basso,

could it be possible that you lack of a discriminator column for Hibernate to distinguish different entities of the same class hierarchy within the same table?

CU
Froestel

No, I just left it out in my example mapping code. As I said, it used to work flawlessly with previous Hibernate versions. It seems to be a change with the entity resolver or something.

I just can't believe that this is a bug because I suppose more people would have noticed it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]