-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to map MySQL integer column value=0 to NULL value ?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:34 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Need help with Hibernate? Read this first:
http://www.hibernate.org/ForumMailingli ... AskForHelp

Hibernate version:3.0.5

Mapping documents:
Code:
   <class name="Category">
      <id name="id" type="int">
         <column name="ID" not-null="true"/>
         <generator class="increment"/>
      </id>
      <many-to-one name="parent" column="ParentID" not-null="false" cascade="none" class="Category"/>
   </class>

Code between sessionFactory.openSession() and session.close():
Code:
    Category cat = (Category) s.load(Category.class , new Integer(1));
    System.out.println("cat id = " + cat.getId() + " , cat parent = " + cat.getParent());

Full stack trace of any exception that occurs:
Code:
Exception in thread "main" org.hibernate.ObjectNotFoundException: No row with the given identifier exists: [my.model.Category#0]
   at org.hibernate.ObjectNotFoundException.throwIfNull(ObjectNotFoundException.java:27)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.load(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:118)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.onLoad(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:75)
   at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.immediateLoad(SessionImpl.java:643)
   at org.hibernate.proxy.AbstractLazyInitializer.initialize(AbstractLazyInitializer.java:59)
   at org.hibernate.proxy.AbstractLazyInitializer.getImplementation(AbstractLazyInitializer.java:84)
   at org.hibernate.proxy.CGLIBLazyInitializer.intercept(CGLIBLazyInitializer.java:134)

Name and version of the database you are using:MySQL 3.23

The generated SQL (show_sql=true):

Debug level Hibernate log excerpt:

Hi , I think it is a general question.
Suppose a Category system , aCategory may have one/null parent and Set of children Category.
The ID is integer . In MySQL , default integer is '0' , not NULL
It will cause Hibernate tring to load a Category with non-existent row with id=0 and throw ObjectNotFoundException

How to solve it ?

Thank you in advanced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:43 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

You can prove that Hibernate created a schema on MySQL that has a "default '0'" in it for the integer foreign key column? Then thats a bug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:49 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

The solution is to use not-found="ignore", or write a UserType that transforms 0 -> null, and use that as the identifier type.

Of course Hibernate does not create schemas with default values.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:50 pm 
Expert
Expert

By the way, in HQL you can use the function nullif(expr1, expr2).
If both expressions are equal, null is returned, otherwise the first expression.

Code:
from Clazz c where nullif(c.cat, 0) is null

Best regards
Sven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:52 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Actually, the correct solution is to use two tables to separate two different entities: nodes and links. Anything else is a broken schema (the nullable foreign key is a good hint).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:53 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

It's one of those things where "one-to-one on primary key using a link table" makes perfect sense. I'm currently rewriting the CaveatEmptor category tree example using this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:07 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

gavin wrote:
The solution is to use not-found="ignore", or write a UserType that transforms 0 -> null, and use that as the identifier type.

Of course Hibernate does not create schemas with default values.

Hi thank you for quick reply , after I set not-found="ignore" as follow :
Code:
<many-to-one name="parent" column="ParentID" not-null="false" cascade="none" class="Category" not-found="ignore"/>

But it throws different exception : PropertyAccessException
Code:
Hibernate: select category0_.ID as ID0_, category0_.uuid as uuid4_0_, category0_.name as name4_0_, category0_.description as descript4_4_0_, category0_.details as details4_0_, category0_.created as created4_0_, category0_.ParentID as ParentID4_0_ from Category category0_ where category0_.ID=?
INFO  - Error performing load command
org.hibernate.PropertyAccessException: Exception occurred inside setter of my.model.Category.parent
   at org.hibernate.property.BasicPropertyAccessor$BasicSetter.set(BasicPropertyAccessor.java:51)
   at org.hibernate.tuple.AbstractTuplizer.setPropertyValues(AbstractTuplizer.java:207)
   at org.hibernate.tuple.PojoTuplizer.setPropertyValues(PojoTuplizer.java:176)
   at org.hibernate.persister.entity.BasicEntityPersister.setPropertyValues(BasicEntityPersister.java:2919)
   at org.hibernate.engine.TwoPhaseLoad.initializeEntity(TwoPhaseLoad.java:113)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.initializeEntitiesAndCollections(Loader.java:530)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQuery(Loader.java:436)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQueryAndInitializeNonLazyCollections(Loader.java:218)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.loadEntity(Loader.java:1345)
   at org.hibernate.loader.entity.EntityLoader.load(EntityLoader.java:116)
   at org.hibernate.loader.entity.EntityLoader.load(EntityLoader.java:101)
   at org.hibernate.persister.entity.BasicEntityPersister.load(BasicEntityPersister.java:2471)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.loadFromDatasource(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:351)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.doLoad(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:332)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.load(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:113)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.onLoad(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:75)
   at org.hibernate.proxy.AbstractLazyInitializer.initialize(AbstractLazyInitializer.java:59)
   at org.hibernate.proxy.AbstractLazyInitializer.getImplementation(AbstractLazyInitializer.java:84)
   at org.hibernate.proxy.CGLIBLazyInitializer.intercept(CGLIBLazyInitializer.java:134)
   at my.model.Category$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$27c283f7.getParent(<generated>)
   at my.model.Test.main(Test.java:32)
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at org.hibernate.property.BasicPropertyAccessor$BasicSetter.set(BasicPropertyAccessor.java:40)
   ... 21 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
   at my.model.Category.setParent(Category.java:209)
   ... 26 more
Exception in thread "main" org.hibernate.PropertyAccessException: Exception occurred inside setter of my.model.Category.parent
   at org.hibernate.property.BasicPropertyAccessor$BasicSetter.set(BasicPropertyAccessor.java:51)
   at org.hibernate.tuple.AbstractTuplizer.setPropertyValues(AbstractTuplizer.java:207)
   at org.hibernate.tuple.PojoTuplizer.setPropertyValues(PojoTuplizer.java:176)
   at org.hibernate.persister.entity.BasicEntityPersister.setPropertyValues(BasicEntityPersister.java:2919)
   at org.hibernate.engine.TwoPhaseLoad.initializeEntity(TwoPhaseLoad.java:113)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.initializeEntitiesAndCollections(Loader.java:530)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQuery(Loader.java:436)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQueryAndInitializeNonLazyCollections(Loader.java:218)
   at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.loadEntity(Loader.java:1345)
   at org.hibernate.loader.entity.EntityLoader.load(EntityLoader.java:116)
   at org.hibernate.loader.entity.EntityLoader.load(EntityLoader.java:101)
   at org.hibernate.persister.entity.BasicEntityPersister.load(BasicEntityPersister.java:2471)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.loadFromDatasource(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:351)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.doLoad(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:332)
   at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.load(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:113)
   at my.model.Category$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$27c283f7.getParent(<generated>)
   at my.model.Test.main(Test.java:32)
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at org.hibernate.property.BasicPropertyAccessor$BasicSetter.set(BasicPropertyAccessor.java:40)
   ... 21 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
   at my.model.Category.setParent(Category.java:209)
   ... 26 more

I hope it will print :
cat id = 1 , cat parent = null;

Maybe custom UserType will work , but I think it is too overkill...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:11 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

This exception is happening in *your* code, not in Hibernate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:07 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Correction in case somebody finds this thread again: I was of course talking about a "one-to-many using a link table", in the case of a tree (not a network, that would be many-to-many). Still haven't found a good use case for one-to-one with a link table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:11 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Think of the problem of assigning Desks to People where a Person can only be assigned one Desk at a time, a Desk can only be assigned to one Person at a time, but where it is utterly reasonable that a Person might not have a Desk, and a Desk might not have a Person.

This is a usecase of one-to-one on a link table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:27 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

gavin wrote:
This exception is happening in *your* code, not in Hibernate.

thank you
It's really my code's problem
solved.
Thanks again

Post subject: PojoTuplizer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:39 am 

How can we use PojoTuplizer ? Anyone ahving sample program. What i need is customised implementation of hibernate Pojos so that hibernate sets and gets the Pojos that i create.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]