-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate causes a soft parse on every SQL statement
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:23 am 

Our Oracle DBA has noticed that the database is soft parsing each SQL statement issued by our Hibernate-based application. We are using Hibernate for batch processing - almost exclusively inserts - and he is concerned that the accumalitve effect of these soft parses is having a detrimental effect on performance. Is this behaviour expected, or is there some way to force Hibernate to reuse prepared statements? Note, we recently switched to using Apache DBCP with prepared statement caching enabled but according to our DBA, this hasn't reduced the number of soft parses. Any insights into this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:03 am 
CGLIB Developer
CGLIB Developer

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=49 ... 8723819082

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:51 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Please, help me understanding that article.
It means that when I launch statistics on my production Database, and I see that for every statement generated by Hibernate
Code:
executions == parse calls

these are all soft parse ?
I made some experiment with Oracle drivers, and setting this property on the connection that I get from the pool:
Code:
conn.setConnectionCachingEnabled(true);

I obtain
Code:
parse calls==1

for every statement !!!!
If I understood well, this mean that with this Oracle Driver can let me skip also the soft parsing of SQL ?
I would like to understand......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:28 pm 
CGLIB Developer
CGLIB Developer

In short hard parsing includes query plan calculation, soft parsing doe's not need to recalculate plan, but it needs to parse SQL, cache lookup and related locking is expensive anyway (hard parsing is more expensive). Solution to avoid soft parse is to cache cursors in session scope, oracle doe's this itself on server side (session_cached_cursors parameter). Good practice is to reuse statement objects in session or transaction scope, probably JDBC pools can help too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:57 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Thank you baliukas for your fast response.
I solved the problem, without reusing cursors on the client side, using JDBC 3.0 style of implicit caching and that worked great, NO more soft parsing too !!!!!
Now I'm rewriting Hibernate's DataSourceConnection class to use this and take the best of this feature.
Do you have any more suggestion ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:30 am 
CGLIB Developer
CGLIB Developer

check cursor limits in init.ora file, "Too many open cursors" error is very common with cursor cache.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]