-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mapping a collection of Integers
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:56 am 

I'm struggling with a really basic collection mapping. It's a unidirectional one-to-many between an simple class and java.lang.Integer. I don't want to create a wrapper class to represent the Integer.

Context: A BIN is a unqiue identifier. A BIN Group is a named grouping of such identifiers, with no duplicates and in no particular order.

The code looks like this:
Code:
class BinGroup {
    /* Insert basic getters and setters for all of the member vars. */
    private Long id;  // Unique identifier
    private String name;  //  Textual name
    private Set bins;  // Collection of java.lang.Integers
}

Note: I don't really care what Collection type I use here (Set is propbably most appropriate though).

The database tables look like this:
Code:
bin_groups {
  id : bigint(8) # Primary key / Identity
  name : varchar(50) # Not-null
}

bin_group_membership {
  group_id : bigint(8)
  bin : int(4) # Not-null
}

I want to be able to fetch a BinGroup given an id, and have the collection of BINs populated at the same time. When I make changees to the collection of BINs, and save() the BinGroup, it should be updated. The SQL to fetch all of the BINs for a BinGroup looks like "select BIN from bin_group_membership where group_id = ?;"

Mapping would be easy if the contained class wasn't an Integer, but rather, something I've created. I don't want to create a wrapper class though because I don't want to have to add an id column to bin_group_membership (mapping to an existing db).

My mapping thus far looks like:
Code:
<class name="eg.BinGroup" table="bin_groups">
  <id name="id" column="id" type="java.lang.Long">
    <generator class="identity" />
  </id>
  <property name="name" type="java.lang.String" column="bin_group_name" />
  <set name="bins" table="bin_group_membership">
    <key column="group_id" />
    <one-to-many class="java.util.Integer" />
  </set>
</class>

This mapping throws this exception during initialization: net.sf.hibernate.MappingException: Associated class not found

This is such a basic database mapping, I clearly must be missing something... unfortunately, it's not a very easy thing to search/google. Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Post subject: RE: Mapping a collection of Integers (Solved)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:02 pm 

Well, after trying a few solutions that seemed way too complicated (e.g. creating a composite-id combining the group_id and bin columns), I finally found the right way to generate this mapping.

It was embarrassingly simple once I figured it out. I wish it there was a repository of mappings someplace, where people could contriibute example mappings (Java code, table definitions, and then hibernate mapping).

In any case, the mapping that does the trick is:

Code:
<class name="eg.BinGroup" table="bin_groups">
  <id name="id" column="id" type="java.lang.Long">
    <generator class="identity" />
  </id>
  <property name="name" type="java.lang.String" column="bin_group_name" />
  <set name="bins" table="bin_group_membership">
    <key column="group_id" />
    <element column="bin" type="java.lang.Integer"/>
  </set>
</class>

Hopefully this thread will be useful to someone else in the future.

Regards,
Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:32 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

If you want to contribute some examples, just do so on the wiki, thats a nice idea :) Everybody can add his stuff once its started up.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]