-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Connections from DataSource + WebSphere
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:24 am 

Hi,

I am using Hibernate 2.0.1 with Datasource connections on several Appservers and it works perfectly.
Unfortunately on WebSphere 5.0 I get the following error message when closing a Hibernate Session:

net.sf.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter TRAS0014I: The following exception was logged com.ibm.websphere.ce.cm.StaleConnectionException: Connection is closed

After some debugging I realized that WebSphere seems to close the connection after a UserTransaction#commit but Hibernate afterwards in SessionFactoryImpl#closeConnection tries to call #getWarnings on the closed connection which causes the above exception.
Is this a known bug or am I doing something wrong? I saw earlier posts that seemd to be related to the same problem on other WebSphere versions.

Regards,
Ralf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:29 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

damn, I don't have my websphere install :(

can you please try commenting out the getWarnings() call, and recompile and see what happens?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:02 am 

Hi Gavin,

I changed the code of SessionFactoryImpl#closeConnection as follows and now it works fine

Code:
if (!conn.isClosed()) {
   JDBCExceptionReporter.logWarnings( conn.getWarnings() );
   conn.clearWarnings();
}
connections.closeConnection(conn);

In the past I learned that if you work with IBM tools things often don't work as they seem to work ;-)

Ralf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:05 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

ugggh. this is crap.

Would you please do me a favor and add this as an issue to JIRA?

TIA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:15 pm 

We had this same problem with data source connections in Websphere. We "fixed" it by configuring the data source to "Disable auto connection cleanup". It's a checkbox in the data source setup in Websphere.

Hope this helps.

Sarah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:18 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Aaaah. hmmmm. Thanks Sarah. We need to add this to the FAQ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:03 am 

Gavin, Sarah,
unfortunately disabling "auto connection cleanup" does not fully solve the issue :-(
If you use CMP WebSphere does not return connections to the connection pool anymore in this case. Using two different Datasources in a mixed CMP/BMP(Hibernate) scenario does not work either because data access in one transaction should go to the same db connection.
So what can I do? IMHO the problem could be solved if Hibernate would do the Connection#getWarnings() stuff before committing the transaction.

Gavin, I added the issue #HB-337 to JIRA.

Post subject: Connections from DataSource + WebLogic
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:51 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

A similar problem occurs with WebLogic 7 and Hibernate 2.0.2. See JIRA HB-360 for a patch.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]