-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Can I eagerly load a ref to a 3rd object in a collection?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:26 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I have a query where I have three objects, and I want to load all three objects eagerly. I've choosen to mark all objects lazy in the annotations just as recommended. So here are my objects:

Device ----> NIC ----> DNS Name

Where Device has many NICs and a NIC has many to one DNS Names.

I can do a query to eagerly load the nics, but I don't know how to specify to load the DNS Names that go with the NICs as well.

from Device d left join fetch d.nics left fetch join d.nics.dns

Unfortunately the above query doesn't work because nics is a set and not a NIC instance. How do I specify that I want join the NIC instances with their DNS Name?

As of right now I see the DNS names being loaded one by one resulting in the N+1 query problem.

Thanks
Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:01 pm 
Regular
Regular

Why don't you leave everything LAZY and query at the NIC level instead of pulling from the top-down?

This is pretty common w/ large hierarchies. You could pull NIC and then left join fetch to Device & DNS Name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:13 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I hadn't thought about that. That's pretty creative. I'm not positive that would work since my view wants the devices displayed along with their NICs and DNS. I can see if it works or not.

So is this to say I can't do this type of deep query joins? I am just curious if it's possible. This has got to be a common thing as you said with large hierarchies. It would only make sense that Hibernate/EJB provide assistance in this matter. You can do it with SQL pretty easy at least.

Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:51 pm 
Regular
Regular

chubbard wrote:
I hadn't thought about that. That's pretty creative. I'm not positive that would work since my view wants the devices displayed along with their NICs and DNS. I can see if it works or not.

So is this to say I can't do this type of deep query joins? I am just curious if it's possible. This has got to be a common thing as you said with large hierarchies. It would only make sense that Hibernate/EJB provide assistance in this matter. You can do it with SQL pretty easy at least.

Charlie

I'm pretty sure (though I haven't read to confirm) that the JPA spec doesn't support joins at that level, though Hibernate *can* handle it, it only seems to work if you're not chaining out through a collection.

Again, don't take my word for it...I'm just recalling from memory...I could be wrong.

I know this query works for me but I'm joining 2 levels deeper through single entities:

Code:
     String query = "select otd from OrderTrafficDetail otd " +
        "left join fetch otd.orderTraffic " +
        "left join fetch otd.customerOrder " +
        "left join fetch otd.customerOrder.deliveryRegion " + //bingo!
        "left join fetch otd.orderTraffic.vendor " +
        "where otd.orderTraffic.shipDate = :shipDate " +
        "order by otd.orderTraffic.carrierNo";

Anyhow, w/ some fenagling (sp?) you should be able to just approach the model from the middle and get the same data....I do the same trick when I want the app to perform a little better.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]