-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Generating JavaDoc from DB comments Postgree
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:21 am 

Hi,
I am using Hibernate Tools to generating code from existing database. It was already very customized by modifications of HB Tools sources. However I have a problem how to get description of table and fields that I have in database (I want to insert it in javadoc). I just want to know if HB tools reads it and where it is stored. When trying column.getComment() - got null.
Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:03 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

well we do read it.....and then put it in that comment field IFF the jdbc driver/metadatadialect returns it.

p.s. why did you have to change things in tools to adopt for your things ? couldn't you just extend the templates or ? Just asking to know which obstacles made you require changing things instead of extending.

Post subject: But how to get the comment of table and field?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:38 pm 

i try to get the comment by using pojo.getTable().getCommen(),but unsuccessful in the template,

and by the hibernate tools,i can generate SerialVersionUID for the model?

Post subject: Re: But how to get the comment of table and field?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:42 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

chlol wrote:
i try to get the comment by using pojo.getTable().getCommen(),but unsuccessful in the template,

I assume you mean pojo.getTable().getComment() ?

If it is not there then the jdbc driver or metadatadialect did not pick it up.

Quote:
and by the hibernate tools,i can generate SerialVersionUID for the model?

We do not generate serialVersionUID because it is not something you should do lightly.

See http://opensource.atlassian.com/project ... se/HBX-964 for the discussion, i'll paste my previous replies for this:

"So why do I not go and add serialVersionUID to the generated entities ?

A) by implementing Serializable you just indicate that this object should be able to serialize to a stream, nothing more - nothing less!

B) by adding a serialVersionUID you are indicating much more, namely that this class is serializable *across* different versions of it - and note what eclipse generates is as far as I know exactly the same thing that the vm would do anyway, and hence why have that extra line ?

C) serialVersionUID=1 is *wrong* since the same class can change over time and the id won't be the same.

So what are the options:

Either we generate the full serialversionUID based on class signature but that implies B and that is just not true.
Or we remove the implements serializable, but what does that statement do besides making eclipse's bogus warnings light up and making all entities non-serializable by default ?

Feel very free to convince me of why eclipse's warning is correct and we should all add serialVersionUID even though I'm quite sure very few percent of those people adding the versionuid's doesn't actually do that."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]