-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: general question : best practice.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:10 am 
Regular
Regular

I was wondering when it would be good to map natural-id and when it would be good to map composite-id?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:45 am 
Regular
Regular

natural-id is good when u use 2nd level caching and u want to look up object based on natural id so there will be no query cache in this case but object will be loaded from cache as is usual for retrieval by its identifier

about composite-id: i prefer not to use composite id, just caused more trouble then usage for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:06 am 

I have used the composite ID successfully when i need to, But i have an advice. Avoid to use composite-id when you need an automatic generator for this id as a sequence for example. It's really problematic with generators.

hope it helps you to take your decision

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]