-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: changing hibernate shemas at runtime
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:49 am 
Beginner
Beginner

In our environment, we have three logical schemas in one database. Since all of these schemas are accessed from the same session factory and data source, we need to include the schema attribute in our hibernate mapping files. We would like to be able to create new sandbox environments by just adding new schemas in the same database. The problem, however, is that the schema names are already hard coded in the hibernate mapping files. Is it possible to change the values of the schema attributes at runtime?

Thanks.

-karl

Hibernate version: 3.05

Name and version of the database you are using: UDB 8.2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:23 am 
Expert
Expert

You can do it with
configuration.setProperty( "hibernate.default_schema",value)

see API for Configuration class

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:35 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I don't think hibernate.default_schema would help me in this case since we have three different schemas for one session factory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:28 pm 
Expert
Expert

ste schema in *hbm.xml file or create 3 sessionFactory's for 3 schemas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:51 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Quote:
set schema in *hbm.xml file

We already set the schema in the hbm.xml file. The issue is we want to override this setting at runtime in places like dev and qa. The hibernate mappings are contained within the actual jars. We want to be able to move from dev to qa to prod without rebuilding these jars.

Quote:
create 3 sessionFactory's for 3 schemas

Three separate session factories would work, but I think it might be somewhat inefficient. We really only need one session factory since there is only one database.

Thanks.

-karl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:03 pm 
Expert
Expert

How do you resolve in another application ?

you can change schema in class definition, define session factory ant what yet

if you have one program (one JVM) and three schemas create sessionfactory, but If you want production and db set property schema in your program (no in *.cfg.xml) then call

Code:
Configuration c = new Configration();
c.setProperty("hibernate.default_schema",yourSchemaProperty);
c.configure();

Post subject: Re: changing hibernate shemas at runtime
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:10 pm 

kbaum wrote:
In our environment, we have three logical schemas in one database. [...] Is it possible to change the values of the schema attributes at runtime?

Here's a suggestion that might be a bit of extra work on your part.

When you configure your Hibernate session, rather than list all of your *.hbm.xml files in your Hibernate config file, you could load them manually using Configuration.addDocument(Document hbm);

Just before you add the hbm file, you could manipulate the table="schema1.MY_TABLE" attribute of each class element to, say, turn it into, say, "sandbox_schema1.MY_TABLE".

Since this would only happen at one time (Hibernate config time), it wouldn't really affect the runtime performance, but it'd probably be a slightly annoying amount of code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:14 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Quote:
Just before you add the hbm file, you could manipulate the table="schema1.MY_TABLE" attribute of each class element to, say, turn it into, say, "sandbox_schema1.MY_TABLE".

I think this is an excellent idea.

Thanks!

-karl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:18 pm 
Expert
Expert

kbaum wrote:
Quote:

I think this is an excellent idea.

Thanks!

-karl

it is easier manipulate with every *hbm.xml than with one *cfg.xml and Configuration
Congratulations.Go ahaed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:24 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Quote:
it is easier manipulate with every *hbm.xml than with one *cfg.xml and Configuration
Congratulations.Go ahaed

I cannot set this in the *cfg.xml since I have only one session factory for three schemas. I understand i could have a session factory per schema, but at this point it's too big of a change for our project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:32 pm 
Expert
Expert

You set *cfg.xml without default schema and in HibernateUtil (or what ever for SessionFactory) next :
Code:
c.setProperty("hibernate.default_schema",yourSchemaProperty);
sessionFactory = c.configure();

your SchemaProperty is one from your schemas.You can make 3 *cfg.xml with your 3 schemas and call with this :
Code:
sessionFactory = c.configure(yourCfgXmlName);

You can change any parameter in Configuration see chapter 4.1 in documentation (Programmatic configuration)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:35 pm 
Expert
Expert

I think you are missing the point of snpesnpe's post. Don't put any schema in the hbms. Then you can set the default_schema at runtime through the Configuration and point to any schema you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:43 pm 
Expert
Expert

Setting schema in mapping file (hbm) is bad idea general .Don't do it, if isn't necessary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:51 pm 

nathanmoon wrote:
I think you are missing the point of snpesnpe's post. Don't put any schema in the hbms. Then you can set the default_schema at runtime through the Configuration and point to any schema you want.

I think you're missing the point of kbaum's post: there are three schemas in place in the production environment, and another three schemas in the sandbox environment.

Either kbaum needs three session factories per application instance (and that might have impacts on joins) or zie has to specify which hbms have which schemas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:58 pm 
Expert
Expert

Quote:
In our environment, we have three logical schemas in one database. Since all of these schemas are accessed from the same session factory and data source, we need to include the schema attribute in our hibernate mapping files. We would like to be able to create new sandbox environments by just adding new schemas in the same database. The problem, however, is that the schema names are already hard coded in the hibernate mapping files. Is it possible to change the values of the schema attributes at runtime?

Thanks.

yes, kbaum can change every *hbm.xml on runtime or remove schema from *hbm.xml once and change schema in configuration - hardcoded schema name will make problem always

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next