-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dealing with Session thread-unsafety in web apps, HIA p.328
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:04 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hibernate version: 2.1*

Hello,

I have a webapp that uses Hibernate, and I'm considering saving Hibernate Session in HttpSession, so I can benefit from the Session acting as a second level cache and thus avoid a few DB hits. Unfortunately, Session is not thread-safe, so a user hitting my webapp with multiple parallel requests (e.g. quickly opening multiple pages in new tabs) is likely to cause a HibernateException.

Hibernate in Action mentions this problem on page 328 (middle of the page), but there is no "recipe" given. So I am wondering how others handle this problem.

I can insert a servlet filter in the request chain, and ensure that only 1 request is processed at a time, but I am wondering if there is a better, more elegant approach.

How do others deal with this?

Thank you,
Otis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:49 am 
CGLIB Developer
CGLIB Developer

It must be better to create hibernate session per request and to use "global" cache for optimization. Heavy HttpSession can produce scalability problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:54 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Quote:
I can insert a servlet filter in the request chain, and ensure that only 1 request is processed at a time, but I am wondering if there is a better, more elegant approach.

How do others deal with this?

this the right way to avoid concurrent httrequests.

Be sure to use a long session (storing it in httpSession) only if you really need it. This is called long-session-per-application-transaction pattern. As baliukas said, prefer short session with detached object if you need failover.

Even with long-session-per-application-transaction, you must take care of the session size and no consider it as a second level cache: it isn't

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]