-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: One-based list indexes, how?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:40 am 

Hi all,

I am using Hibernate to access data in a legacy database.
I have a class (Order) that has many line items. My Hibernate mapping of the line items in the Order class is as follows...
<list name="lineItems" lazy="true" cascade="all">
<key column="customer_order_id"/>
<index column="line_number" />
<one-to-many class="com.rpc.core.customer.model.CustomerOrderLineItem"/>
</list>

However, the line_number column used above is one-based, that is, int he database line items are numbered from 1 to n. However, the Order.getLineItems() method needs to return a zero-based list of line items. That is, the oth item in the List returned from Order.getLineItems() should be the line item with a line number of 1.

I tried to modify the above mapping by adding a type to the index that would transform the 1-based DB indexes to 0-based object indexes as follows...

<list name="lineItems" lazy="true" cascade="all">
<index column="line_number" type="net.sf.hibernate.eclipse.datatype.OneBasedIndexUserType" />
</list>

However, Hibernate seems to ignore the type if the index. To test this I set breakponts in the OneBasedIndexUserType class and they were never hit.

So, does anybody know how I can successfully map these line items with Hibernate?

TIA,
ted stockwell

Post subject: Try this.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:06 pm 

I'm sure that the OP has found some workaround by now. If you manage to stumble across this thread with the same problem, however, I tried the following, and it worked much as I expected.

Code:
<bag name="lineItems" lazy="true" cascade="all" order-by="line_number">
</bag>

For my application, this works, since the elements that go in the bag are largely static. For the OP's application, keeping order-items in a bag is not the most efficient storage solution.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]