-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: NullObject pattern
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:17 pm 

I have some null objects and I would like Hibernate to return these when it cannot find any results from a given query.

For example say I have this code

public User getUser(Long id) {
return (User) session.load(UserImpl.class, id);
}

if this user with ID=1 does not exist, I would like it to return me the null object I specified somewhere in my system instead of returning null.

This null object could be in my User interface. i.e.

public interface User {
public static final NULL = new User() {};
}

Does Hibernate support something like this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:25 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

if not, you could write that

public User getUser(Long id) {
User u = (User) session.load(UserImpl.class, id);
if (u == null) return new User();
return u;
}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:38 pm 

I could do that but I like to know if Hibernate can do this behind
the scenes.

Now let say if I wanted to return a list of Users, it would be a pain
to iterate through the list of users, finding out which is null, and inserting that index column to reference the NULL object.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:46 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

did you look at the session.filter()?

are you using a list i.e. getUsers() maybe in your Role.getUsers() and you're getting empty rows? I noticed this myself in my m:m mappings, where if I delete an entity, then the cascading db constraint deletes the mapping. The net result is that the list has nulls. I think it's cause the list routine in hibernate expects everything nice and orderly in the index column with no gaps from 0 to n in the list. I am still debating the best way to deal with this. Currently, when using one of these lists, I iterate over the list and simply continue if the next element is null. I'm considering some sort of after delete trigger on the db, but I have not fully poured through the docs for a better way to get an ordered set back.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]